First release of Shed Skin, a Python-to-C++ compiler.

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Sep 11 13:02:06 EDT 2005

Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:

> > . there is no reason why the pypy project can't have a .NET architecture
> > instead of the java-like arrangement I assume it has now
>
> Sorry, I can't really follow you here. In what way does PyPy have a
> Java-like arrangement?

I imagine that this remark was made in reference to the just-in-time
compilation techniques that PyPy may end up using, although I was under
the impression that most CLR implementations also use such techniques
(and it is possible to compile Java to native code as gcj proves).

But on the subject of LLVM: although it seems like a very interesting
and versatile piece of software, it also seems to be fairly difficult
to build; my last attempt made the old-style gcc bootstrapping process
seem like double-clicking on setup.exe. Does this not worry the PyPy
team, or did I overlook some easier approach? (Noting that a Debian
package exists for LLVM 1.4 but not 1.5.)

Paul