Django Vs Rails

Marek Kubica pythonmailing at web.de
Thu Sep 8 13:03:33 EDT 2005

Hello!

On 7 Sep 2005 20:56:28 -0700 flamesrock wrote:

> On the other, Rails seems to have a brighter future,
Why that? Django is not yet released and everybody is talking about it.
Like it happened with RoR.

> How difficult would it be to learn Ruby+Rails, assuming that someone is
> already skilled with Python?
Learning Ruby: quite trivial, as Ruby is like Python, but sometimes there a
Ruby-way and a non-Ruby-way (codeblocks and stuff like this) and to write
nice Ruby programs you better write in the Ruby-way.

> Is it worth it?
Well, I've learned it, because it was easy but I haven't yet found a really
significant difference that makes Ruby much better than Python. You can
write some things in an very elegant way, but sometimes the Python solution
is more readable. But the docs are sometimes.. say: very compact ;).
As Ruby is not that hard to learn you could give it a try - maybe you'll
like it, maybe not.

RoR is not the only framework, some folks prefer Nitro.

greets,
Marek