encryption with python

Paul Rubin http
Sat Sep 10 18:15:01 EDT 2005

Kirk Job Sluder <kirk at jobsluder.net> writes:
> I'm more than happy to agree to disagree on this, but I see it
> differently.  In aviation there certainly is a bit of risk-benefit
> analysis going on in thinking about whether the cost of a given safety
> is justified given the benefits in risk reduction.
>
> Likewise, credit companies are currently making money hand-over-fist.
> If an identity is compromised, it's cheaper for them to just close the
> account, refund the money, and do their own fraud investigation after
> the fact.

You don't get it.  Refunding the money improperly charged on a single
card doesn't begin to compensate for the hassle of undoing an identity
theft.  If airlines worked the way you're suggesting the credit
industry should work, and a plane went down, the airline would be off
the hook by refunding your estate the price of your ticket.  It's only
because they face much further-reaching liability than that, that they
pay so much attention to safety.