cElementTree clear semantics

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Sep 26 07:56:05 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> well, for the record, I strongly recommend people to post questions in
> public forums.

I wasn't saying that such advice was wrong, though. I suppose the
quality or responsiveness of advice is going to vary somewhat depending
on a number of factors...

> it's often a good idea to spend a little time looking for the right forum
> (the xml-sig is a good place for elementtree-related questions), but
> posting a question about a widely used Python library to c.l.python is
> never wrong.

I think the popularity of the library is probably the biggest factor,
and given that you've released much more popular stuff than I have, I'd
imagine that a lot more people would be able to offer advice about
ElementTree than anything I've written. My software's niche status
leads me to encourage people to contact me directly, but it'd surely be
a great experience to be one of many in a community fielding questions
about it in public.

That said, choosing the right forum can give better results: how many
Zope-specific posts do you see on comp.lang.python these days?

Paul