epydoc CLI and many files

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Sep 7 10:19:17 EDT 2005

On Monday 05 September 2005 08:10 am, Laszlo Zsolt Nagy wrote:
> I have a problem under Windows.

There's your problem. ;-)

> I use the cli.py program included with
> epydoc. I wrote a small program that lists all of my modules after the
> cli. Something like this:
>
> cli.py  --html  --inheritance=grouped module1.py module2.py module3.py
>
> The problem is that now I have so many modules that the shell (cmd.exe)
> cannot interpret this as a one command.

> How to overcome this problem?

Use Linux. Or Unix.  Or Mac OS X probably.  You know, a real
operating system. ;-)

Seriously though, try using a wildcard pattern instead of explicit
module names.

In POSIX systems, the shell expands wildcards into multiple files on
the command line, but under DOS/Windows systems, the expansion normally
takes place within the program (I think this is still true).  In this
case, I would guess that the Python interpreter would do the
expansion. That should avoid any limits on command length that
cmd.exe is giving you (I'm trusting that Python is much more capable).

Cheers,
Terry