How to copy a file from one machine to another machine

Nico Grubert nicogrubert at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 07:48:31 EDT 2005

> This isn't really a Python question, as this problem would exist
> irrespective of the language you are using.
>
> One possibility would be to run Samba (www.smaba.org) on the Linux
> machine so it offered a share to the Windows machine. Then you could
> just write to a UNC path (\\server\path\to\file) from Windows and have
> the file appear on the Linux machine.
>
> Another way would be to use CIFS client on Linux to access the share
> from the Windows machine.
>
> There are many other file sharing solutions, and you can of course also
> consider using FTP to send the file to the Linux server.

Hello Steve,

Samba is already installed and configured on the Linux machine. Can I
just use file=open(<path_to_my_windows_share>,'w') in Python to mount
the windows share and create the file?
By the way, your book "Python Web Programming" is one of the best python
books I have read! Really good work!

Nico