encryption with python

Kirk Job Sluder kirk at jobsluder.net
Sat Sep 10 15:10:56 EDT 2005

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> writes:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:31:03 -0700, jlocc wrote:
>
> > Basically I will like to combine a social security number (9 digits)
> > and a birth date (8 digits, could be padded to be 9) and obtain a new
> > 'student number'. It would be better if the original numbers can't be
> > traced back, they will be kept in a database anyways. Hope this is a
> > bit more specific, thanks!!!
>

> There are "one-way" encryption functions where the result can't easily be
> traced back to the input, but why do you need the input anyway?

Well, there is a form of security design that involves one-way
encryption of confidential information.  You might want to be able to
search on SSN, but not have the actual SSN stored in the database.  So,
you are prepared to deal with the inevetable, "I lost my
password/student ID, can you still look up my records?"

Don't think it applies in this case, but might in some other cases.

--
Kirk Job-Sluder
"The square-jawed homunculi of Tommy Hilfinger ads make every day an