Question About Logic In Python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Sep 23 06:12:51 EDT 2005

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Steve Holden" <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
> news:dgtu7d$o7d$1 at sea.gmane.org...
>
>>Which is yet another reason why it makes absolutely no sense to apply
>>arithmetic operations to Boolean values.
>

> Except for counting the number of true values.  This and other legitimate
> uses of False/True as 0/1 (indexing, for instance) were explicitly
> considered as *features* of the current design when it was entered.  The
> design was not merely based on backwards compatibility, but also on
> actually use cases which Guido did not want to disable.  There was lots of
> discussion on c.l.p.

Sure. Perhaps I should have said it makes absolutely no sense "to expect
the results of aritmetic operations on bools to themselves be bools".
Sheesh, you have to be so careful nowadays ... :-)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
PyCon TX 2006                          www.pycon.org