Need help:Unable to make runnable Python on AIX 4.3.3

mkent at webmd.net mkent at webmd.net
Thu Sep 22 10:43:28 EDT 2005

I have a vexing problem and seek some input on how to fix it.

Starting with Python 2.4.0, I have been unable to compile a working
Python on our AIX 4.3.3 development system.  I can compile a working
Python 2.3.x with no problem.

The failure symptom is that Python 2.4.x fails its unit tests on
test_builtin with a Segmentation fault.  Turning on verbose test output
in the Makefile via the '-v' flag yields the following:

(Much output from passing tests elided)
test_open (test.test_builtin.BuiltinTest) ... ok
test_ord (test.test_builtin.BuiltinTest) ... ok
test_pow (test.test_builtin.BuiltinTest) ... ok
test_range (test.test_builtin.BuiltinTest) ... ok
test_reduce (test.test_builtin.BuiltinTest) ... ok
gmake: *** [test] Segmentation fault

Any ideas on how to find/fix this problem?  I'd hate to get locked into
Python 2.3, but that's what will happen if I can't solve this.