Question about smtplib, and mail servers in general.

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.corp
Tue Sep 20 08:08:31 EDT 2005

Chris Dewin wrote:
> Hi. I've been thinking about using smtplib to run a mailing list from my website.
>
> s = smtplib.SMTP("server")
> s.sendmail(fromaddress, toaddresess, msg)
>
> I know that in this instance, the toaddresses variable can be a variable
> of type list.
>
> Suppose the list contains well over 100 emails. Would that create some
> sort of drain on the mail server? Would I be better off doing it in some
> other way?

Not really an answer to your question, but it's probably considered bad
style to publish the email addresses of the recipients via the address
list. Use a neutral To-address (best: the mailing list address) and add
the recipients via bcc: headers.

You might also want to look at mailman
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/, which is a complete mailing list
solution written in Python.