Proposal: add sys to __builtins__

tiissa tiissa at nonfree.fr
Sat Sep 3 05:09:20 EDT 2005

Michael Hoffman wrote:
> To the contrary, I agree with Larry Wall that laziness is one of the
> cardinal virtues of a programmer.

There's lazy and too lazy.
You don't want to be too lazy to even get out of bed to code in Python.
Of course, with Perl, that's entirely another mattress^Wmatter.

> Would you argue that the language is superior because half of its
> modules must have "import sys" at the beginning

I wouldn't dare arguing about superiority.

I was just stating your proposal didn't really solve anything. A good
editor/template and .pythonrc already save you the typing of 'import
sys' in scripts for the former and shell command for the latter.

> Sorry, that's incorrect

Alright, that was a bit of an overstatement.
I should have said your proposal is perceptibly useful in those shell
one-liners. The distribution of script and modules is another matter.

As for my opinion, you've already guessed I don't perceive 'import sys'
as an issue. Therefore, the special case of an implicit import of sys
does not appeal to me.