C#3.0 and lambdas

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Sep 21 10:11:38 EDT 2005

Christophe wrote:
> Steve Holden a écrit :
>
>>Christophe wrote:

>>[...]
>>>>

>>>That one is stupid. I don't see how you can make it work without some
>>>global storing the p1 information in foo which I would consider as
>>>very ugly code.
>>

>>In which case perhaps you should actually try the code. Then once you
>>realise it works you can start to figure out why :-). Hint: f(*p1)
>>appears as len(p1) separate arguments to the called function.
>

> You should also notice that foo knows the starting point of the line but
> not the ending point and so it can't draw the line. On the other hand,
> bar knows the end point but not the starting point so it can't do the
> job either.

This is rubbish.

   foo(*p1)

is *exactly* equivalent to

   foo(p1[0], p1[1])

and similarly

   bar(p2)

is *exactly* equivalent to

   bar(p2[0], p2[1])

and consequently the second version of drawline is exactly equivalent to
the first. So, if the second one is useless then so is the first.

> And what about a function which computes the line length ?

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. Can you explain?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
PyCon TX 2006                          www.pycon.org