How to protect Python source from modification

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Tue Sep 13 01:45:41 EDT 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:33:10 -0700, Frank Millman wrote:
>
> > My problem is that, if someone has access to the network and to a
> > Python interpreter, they can get hold of a copy of my program and use
> > it to knock up their own client program that makes a connection to the
> > database. They can then execute any arbitrary SQL command.
>
> Why is that your problem, instead of the company's problem? It is their
> database server, yes? If they want to connect to it and execute arbitrary
> SQL commands on their own database, (1) who are you to tell them they
> can't? and (2) they hardly need your program to do it.
>
> --
> Steven

If they choose to give the userid and password to an individual, they
are obviously giving him permission to execute any command.

On the other hand, they can reasonably expect to set up users without
giving them direct access to the database, in which case I think they
would be upset if the users found this restriction easy to bypass.

Frank