Python compiled?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Sep 5 23:06:52 EDT 2005

On 2005-09-05, billiejoex <billiejoex at fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> Py2exe is surely a good compromise but it is not comparable to
> an executable file compiled, for example, in C for obvious
> sizing reasons

In theory something written in C could be smaller.  In
practice, it isn't. Most "real" apps end up shipping with a
directory full of .dlls, help-files, uninstall scripts and
miscellaneous other stuff.  There are very, very few pure "exe"
single-file executable windows apps.  Putty is the only one
I've run across in a _long_ while.  Everything else ends up
installing a directory full of libraries and help files and
whatnot.  In practice, a Python app packages with py2exe and
Inno Setup behaves exactly the same as anything other recent
Windows app.

> (I never used PyInstaller. I surely try it out as soon as
> possible, but I didn't think that the output package size is
> too much different than py2exe one). For these reasons I think
> that an hibrid language that permits interpretation and
> compilation at the same time, should be a great advantage.

You're wrong.  The size of a packaged Python app is simply not
a concern.  I've distributed several Python wxWidgets apps
after packaging them with py2exe and Inno setup.  I never got a
single comment about the size of the packaged app -- all I got
were surprised remarks about how they thought I was a Unix guy
who didn't know anything about Windows.  I reply that I am, and
I don't.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Put FIVE DOZEN red
                                  at               GIRDLES in each CIRCULAR