OpenSource documentation problems

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Sep 10 14:32:58 EDT 2005

Michael Ekstrand <mekstran at scl.ameslab.gov> writes:

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:16:36 -0400
> Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
>> You need a better browser. Mine - at least on Unix - have an option to
>> dump textareas into text files, invoke my favorite editor on them, and
>> then read the file back in when the editor exits. Assuming i'm not
>> running the browser in that editor in the first place.
>
> Which browser might this be? I am curious.

w3m has this feature. emacs-w3m uses w3m as a back end, rendering into
an emacs buffer, and gets this by default. And as I noted in the
message you quoted, there's an extension available for FireFox that
gives you the ability to invoke an external editor on the text in a
textarea.

The first browser I ever saw that did this was iBrowse. It attached a
button to each text area that invoked an external editor on the
contents of the textarea. iBrowse is my all time favorite browser. The
list of desirable features was simply amazing, and I've never seen
it's equal. The mozilla family comes close if you consider all the
extensions, but iBrowse had them built in - and still rendered faster
than a text only browser on the same platform. I doubt if I'll ever
see it's like again.

    <mike