Python 2.2.1 DLL extension causes "abnormal program termination"

Hugh hugh.david at motorola.com
Thu Sep 1 10:30:54 EDT 2005

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been answered in here and I can't find
it, but can anyone help with this problem?
I hope the example code and comments state clearly enough what is
happening, but if not, please ask me for further information.
Thank in advance for any help.

:-)
Hugh

#!/usr/bin/python

# 1. DLL C++ source code
#
#   #include <Python.h>
#   static PyObject* dummy(PyObject* self, PyObject* args)
#   {
#   	return Py_None;
#   }
#   static PyMethodDef py_dll_test_methods[] =
#   {
#   	{ "dummy", dummy, METH_VARARGS, "dummy" },
#   	{ 0,0,0,0 }
#   };
#   extern "C" void _declspec(dllexport) initpy_dll_test(void)
#   {
#   	(void) Py_InitModule("py_dll_test", py_dll_test_methods);
#   }
#
# 2. Build release DLL using MSVC++ version 6.0, linking with
"python22.lib"
#
# 3. Copy DLL to "c:\python22\python\dll" directory
#
# 4. Python source

import py_dll_test
import time

while 1:

	py_dll_test.dummy()

	time.sleep(0.01)

# 5. Run python source
# c:\>c:\Python22\python console_test.py

# 6. Program runs for a while, but then crashes after 24 seconds with
# abnormal program termination
# Note. If I reduce the sleep time, the crash happens earlier.