Finding where to store application data portably

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Sep 21 13:08:45 EDT 2005

> > > I'm using pygame to write a game called Bombz which needs to save some
> > > data in a directory associated with it. In Unix/Linux I'd probably use
> > > "~/.bombz", in Windows something like
> > > "C:\Documents And Settings\<user>\Applicacation Data\Bombz".
> >
> > In Windows, you shouldn't hard-code the drive letter. I don't know how you
> > find out what the correct value is, but hard-coding it is just Bad.
> >
> 	XP Pro seems to take

> C:\Documents and Settings\Dennis Lee Bieber\Application Data
>
> 	Though the more consistent might be to hit the registry:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders\AppData
>
> and to confuse matters, there is also a "Local AppData" entry

It isn't just the drive letter you shouldn't hardcode. In different
locales the phrases "Documents and Settings" and "Application Data"
are often different. The canonical way to get this dir on Windows is by
using the SHGetFolderPath Windows API call with the CSIDL_APPDATA
constant:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/functions/shgetfolderpath.asp

In Python code that is:

    from win32com.shell import shellcon, shell
    path = shell.SHGetFolderPath(0, shellcon.CSIDL_APPDATA, 0, 0)

Unfortunately that either means having the PyWin32 extensions installed
(which not all Python installations on Windows have) or building your
own small binary extension to make that call. Failing that, using the
registry location or the environment variable above might suffice
Note that on some older Windows flavours -- not sure exactly which --
the APPDATA env. var. might not be defined.

Also note that Windows app guidelines encourage you to have an
additional vendor/owner directory level before the app name. So:

    %APPDATA%\<company-or-vendor-name>\Bombz

I have a little working script that I use for this kind of stuff which
you are welcome too, if it helps. (attached)

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com