Python for ARM7?

Ken Seehart pythonic at seehart.com
Tue Sep 13 15:03:45 EDT 2005

Sybren Stuvel wrote:
> Ken Seehart enlightened us with:
>
>>1. How do I know whether to use sharprom or modern?
>
> If it works, use it.

That makes sense :)

>>2. What do I do with ipk files?  I surfed around and found that in
>>one example, the command is "ipkg install foo.ipk", but ipkg doesn't
>>seem to exist on my hardware.
>
> ipkg doesn't have anything to do with your hardware. It's just a shell
> script. Anyway, an ipkg file is nothing more than a tarball with a
> certain content.

> Sybren

That was a dumb way for me to put it :)  What I mean is that the linux
installation on my hardware is so stripped down I don't have various
files such as ipkg.  It's helpful to know that ipkg is a shell script
instead of a binary, but I am also missing tar, ar, and gcc (which I
assume I need libraries from).

I could try to unpack them on another (non-ARM7) linux box and then move
the files over to the ARM7 device.  Better yet, can I unpack them on
windows XP somehow?

If for some reason that is not possible, i suppose my next step is to
find a compatible ARM7 linux installation to unpack on another machine
to steal files from.  Unfortunately I don't have access to another ARM7
computer, and I don't have room for a full linux installation on the
ARM7 device that I am working with (it has a total of 4MB).  It there an
easy to obtain the files I need without attempting to reintall linux?

The files I know about are:
   libgcc1 (>= 3.4.3)  (exact file name unknown)
   libc6 (>= 2.3.2+cvs20040726)  (exact file name unknown)
   ipkg (the shell script)
   tar
   ar
   (any other commands that ipkg runs)