Zope3 Examples?

Markus Wankus markus_REMOVEwankusALL_CAPS at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 29 00:07:37 EDT 2005

Hi All,

Does anyone know of any good Zope3 examples?  I'm new to Zope and I just
want to start with a simple website, and later move on to a more complex
site with interactive calendar, obligatory
blog/wiki/buzzword-of-the-day-thingy, etc.

I started by installing Zope2 and Plone but it was very slow, and quite
frankly I didn't want to end up looking like "another Plone site".  I
did a bunch of surfing and found some suggestions along the lines that
Zope3 was basically ready for primetime, and would combine the best of
Plone and Zope2.. and be faster.  So, naturally, I removed Zope2 and
Plone and quickly installed Zope3!  ;o)  Well, it is definitely faster.
  The problem is, it doesn't look like there are any applications (if I
may use that term) for it yet.
I'm starting in on the docs now, and I'll probably break down and pay
through the nose for the book, but I was just wondering if I perhaps
made a bad choice and should go back to Zope2/Plone - or will it all be
worth the effort?

I found the very cool SchoolBell project, and I hope to delve into the
source for that as a learning experience, but I must admit I was hoping
for a more Plone-type experience with Zope3 out of the box.  It looks to
me like that sort of thing just isn't there yet.  That's fine if that's
the case - I can wait (I have a lot of reading and learning to do anyway).

I guess I'm just wondering if there are any other resources out there I
haven't found in my Googling yet.  I also found this nice-looking TODO
sample (which looks like the best place to start, frankly) which I plan
on using as a starting point as well
(http://toulouse.amber.org/archives/simple_todo_application/index.html).

Thanks,
Markus