global interpreter lock

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Sep 1 22:45:14 EDT 2005

Bryan Olson <fakeaddress at nowhere.org> writes:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
>  > Bryan Olson writes:
>  >>System support for threads has advanced far beyond what Mr. Meyer
>  >>dealt with in programming the Amiga.
>  >
>  > I don't think it has - but see below.
>  >
>  >>In industry, the two major camps are Posix threads, and Microsoft's
>  >>Win32 threads (on NT or better).  Some commercial Unix vendors have
>  >>mature support for Posix threads; on Linux, the NPTL is young but
>  >>clearly the way to move forward.
>  >
>  > I haven't looked at Win32 threading. Maybe it's better than Posix
>  > threads. Sure, Posix threads is better than what I dealt with 10 years
>  > ago, but there's no way I'd call it "advanced beyond" that model. They
>  > aren't even as good as the Python Threading/Queue model.
> With Python threads/queues how do I wait for two queues (or
> locks or semaphores) at one call? (I know some methods to
> accomplish the same effect, but they suck.)

By "not as good as", I meant the model they provide isn't as managable
as the one provided by Queue/Threading. Like async I/O,
Queue/Threading provides a better model at the cost of
generality. There are things it doesn't do well, and others it doesn't
do at all. If it didn't have those problems, I wouldn't be looking for
alternatives.

>  >>Java and Ada will wrap the native thread package, which
>  >>C(++) offers it directly.
>  > Obviously, any good solution will wrap the native threads [...]
> I recommend looking at how software that implements
> sophisticated services actually words. Many things one
> might think to be obvious turn out not to be true.

Instead of making vague assertions, why don't you provide us with
facts? I.e. - what are the things you think are obvious that turned
out not to be true? Name some software that implements sophisticated
services that we can go look out. And so on...

         <mike