Python on AIX 4.3.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Sep 14 12:32:01 EDT 2005

David Gutierrez wrote:

> I'm trying to install Python on an aix 4.3.3. but keep on getting a failed
> attempt with the following errors.
>
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .pthread_mutex_lock
> Has anyone seen this before.

$ more README
AIX:    A complete overhaul of the shared library support is now in
        place.  See Misc/AIX-NOTES for some notes on how it's done.
        (The optimizer bug reported at this place in previous releases
        has been worked around by a minimal code change.) If you get
        errors about pthread_* functions, during compile or during
        testing, try setting CC to a thread-safe (reentrant) compiler,
        like "cc_r".  For full C++ module support, set CC="xlC_r" (or
        CC="xlC" without thread support).

so I guess the answer is yes.

</F>