Python compiled?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Sep 8 19:49:30 EDT 2005

On 2005-09-08, Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:29:46 -0000, Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>> On 2005-09-06, Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se> wrote:
>>
>>> I also believe it's better to convince the end user to install
>>> Python before installing the application[1], rather than to
>>> try to sneak in an interpreter with py2exe or something -- an
>>> interpreter which the end user cannot update, manage or use
>>> for other things.
>>
>> There's a typo in that last phrase.  It should read "[...] --
>> an interpreter the user isn't going to uninstall or break
>> because he doesn't know what it is or why it's there."
>
> I meant what I wrote, of course (and you should really have
> added a smiley.)

Nah, I knew everybody would get it without one. c.l.p readers
are smarter than the average bear.

> Might be because I'm more at home in Linux (Debian). The
> bundling-an-interpreter approach to distribution software is
> simply not applicable on those platforms, for many different
> reasons.

Of course.  I never ship an interpreter for Linux apps.  Just
the python source.  I thought we were talking about Windows
apps what with the reference to py2exe and Inno Setup and
whatnot.  Linux comes with Python already installed, though
sometimes wxPyton and friends aren't installed by default.
Mostly my Linux Python apps are strictly command-line anyway.

> Maybe that's why I have a hard time even understanding the
> idea. I see lots of problems and few benefits.

I've had limited success telling Windows users to install
Python.  Even if you point them to the ActiveState MSI file
with all the Win32 stuff already bundled, they seem to muck it
up most of the time.  I can't imagine how -- it's dead simple
to install, but they manage to screw it up.

> For example, the issue of security fixes. If there's a bug in
> Python which makes anyone running an interpreter vulnerable,
> how are those users even going to /find out/ about it?

I guess you ship them an update -- same as you would for a
security fix for the other parts of the application.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My TOYOTA is built
                                  at               like a... BAGEL with CREAM