Best Encryption for Python Client/Server

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Sep 20 17:07:47 EDT 2005

Ed Hotchkiss wrote:
> No worries, I apologize for my outburst. I will check out the viability
> of using an SSH module, or using pyCrypto or something to encrypt the data.

Please don't apologise. It's one of c.l.py's charms that an exchange
such as the one you had with Robert Kern results in a perfectly equable
exchange of views rather than an escalatory flame war of the "fuck off
and die" nature.

Please excuse my language, I've been reading too much Xah Lee lately.

> Here's my mission: simple P2P class with encryption of whatever type of
> file is being sent, and authentication via encrypted user name/password.
> So any type of file or login being sent over the net, any communication
> between the scripts should be encrypted, regardless of whether it is
> client/server communication, or file transfer.

Robert's suggestion was a good one, as ssh (rather than SSH) is very
good at building encrypted tunnels between arbitrary processes.

> Now that I've finally stated what I want to do (sorry) Is SSH a good
> option, or just using sockets with pycrypto? Thanks in advance.

I think I'd rather use the already-engineered ssh solution, relying as
it does on well-thought-out asymmetric encryption. You might want to look at

http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/winhelp/32/Tunneling_Explained.html

regards
  Steve

[or possibly http://www.googleityoumoron.com/?go=holden+python]
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
PyCon TX 2006                          www.pycon.org