Where is the document of python-mode.el

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Sep 14 02:56:57 EDT 2005

"JackPhil" <allisfree at gmail.com> wrote:

> I searched in the python-mode.el, sf.net, python.org, and found nothing

what document?

if you want documentation, switching to a python buffer and typing
alt-X followed by "describe-mode" works for me (alternatively, press
control-H followed by M):

    Python mode:
    Major mode for editing Python files.

    This mode knows about Python indentation, tokens, comments and
    continuation lines.  Paragraphs are separated by blank lines only.

    COMMANDS
    key             binding
    ---             -------
    ESC  Prefix Command
    LFD  py-newline-and-indent
    DEL  py-delete-char

to get detailed information about a given command, use describe-key
or describe-function.  e.g. "describe-key backspace" (=DEL on my key-
board) gives me:

    DEL runs the command py-delete-char:

    Reduce indentation or delete character.
    If point is at the leftmost column, deletes the preceding newline.

    Else if point is at the leftmost non-blank character of a line that is
    neither a continuation line nor a non-indenting comment line, or if
    point is at the end of a blank line, reduces the indentation to match
    that of the line that opened the current block of code.  The line that
    opened the block is displayed in the echo area to help you keep track
    of where you are.  With numeric count, outdents that many blocks (but
    not past column zero).

    Else the preceding character is deleted, converting a tab to spaces if
    needed so that only a single column position is deleted.  Numeric
    argument delets that many characters.

for variables, use describe-variable.  e.g. "describe-variable py-indent-
offset" displays:

    py-indent-offset's value is 4

    Documentation:
    *Indentation increment.
    Note that `C-c :' can usually guess a good value
    when you're editing someone else's Python code.

(all this text comes from the python-mode.el file, so I'm a bit surprised
that you didn't find anything by looking inside it).

(if you need installation help, see the comments at the top of the python-
mode.el file.  look for the "INSTALLATION" heading)

</F>