Sockets: code works locally but fails over LAN

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Fri Sep 9 05:27:26 EDT 2005

n00m wrote:
[...]
 > Btw, the newest oops in the topic's subject is:
 > the code does not work in the case of:
 >
 > sqls_host, sqls_port = '192.168.0.8', 1433
 > proxy_host, proxy_port = '192.168.0.3', 1434
 > ## proxy_host, proxy_port = '127.0.0.1', 1434
 > ## proxy_host, proxy_port = '', 1434
 >
 > I.e. when both Python and vbs script run on one machine
 > (with ip = 192.168.0.3) and SQL Server runs on another
 > (with ip = 192.168.0.8)
 >
 > How namely it does not work:
 > in the idle window only one line is printed:
 >
 > VB_SCRIPT:.........
 >
 > that's all. No errors from Python. After timeout expires
 > I get an error message from VBS (smth like preHandShake()
 > failed; I've never seen it before).
 >
 > I just wonder MUST (or not) it work at all (IN THEORY)?

No theoretically-must-or-even-should-work solution is generally
possible. Protocols can thwart proxies by using addresses that
they transfer within their payload-data. That's an essential
feature of some security protocols, such as SSL, and an
unfortunate consequence of some old or badly-designed protocols.

Were I a betting man (outside of Texas Hold'em, where I am), I'd
wager that your problem is more basic. The code you're running,
the settings you're setting, or -- well -- something there, is
not right.

--
--Bryan