Pythonwin crashes

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Sep 28 22:28:06 EDT 2005

Lucas Raab wrote:
> accolades wrote:
>
>>Does anyone else have a problem with Pythonwin crashing after running a
>>python script with graphics libraries? Whenever I use Pythonwin to run
>>a PyGame or PyOgre script, Pythonwin crashes when the script exits.
>>
>>I know it's probably because the Pythonwin interpreter can't read from
>>the console once the graphics mode has been changed, but has anyone
>>discovered a workaround? I'd like to know if this problem is specific
>>to my machine, or if others have witnessed this.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Tim
>>

> I think it's pretty much universal. Pythonwin crashes when you run
> programs with Tk in them.

The problem is that PythonWin uses MFC-based windowing, and runs
programs as a part of the same process that the IDE itself runs in.

This means that there are conflicting requirements for windowing, and
this can lead to PythonWin getting confused enough to crash and die.

To avoid this you need a development system that uses a remote debugging
technique - WingIDE, for example, can successfully debug programs based
on Tkinter, wxPython and other graphical toolkits, because the programs
it runs are run as separate processes.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
PyCon TX 2006                          www.pycon.org