Will python never intend to support private, protected and public?

Paul Rubin http
Wed Sep 28 17:37:23 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
> Note that the quoted article only applies to *writing* attributes. It
> doesn't say anything about needing accessors to *read* a
> variable. This encourages me that the convention I use - adopted from
> Eiffel, where the compiler enforces it - of freeling reading
> attributes, but providing methods to write them - is a right way todo
> things.

Generally that sounds reasonable.  Obviously there are other examples
when (e.g. for security) you have to make sure that variables can't be
read by other classes, e.g. you have a class that stores a capability
(or a password) in an instance variable, and uses it for privileged
operations.