A Moronicity of Guido van Rossum

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Sep 29 21:40:32 EDT 2005

[Delaney, Timothy (Tim)]
> Tony Meyer wrote:

> > It's made worse because he uses so many words that you'd expect to
> > find in legitimate c.l.p messages.

> It's this last bit that's the problem. I've got no problems filtering
> other types of spam messages to the list, but XL adds so many non-spam
> terms that the from field gets declared a statistical anomaly :(

My email reader automatically marks any message naming him, anywhere,
as deleted on entry, here.  I opened this one nevertheless, out of
curiosity, because the message was from Tim Delaney, who knows better!

I made it fairly easy to manage those few cases which escape Bayesian
filters.  For something I do not want to read, I merely select a small
part of the message acting like a clue, then hit Alt-Ctrl-K, which pops
up a small menu (author, subject, body, etc.).  I select `body', and
that's it.  Emails are later deleted on entry.  The keybinding is known
to the window manager (Openbox here), which launches a small Python
script to update tables for the mail fetcher (another Python script),
and the mail reader (Mutt in my case).  All of this is very convenient.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca