cElementTree clear semantics

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Sep 25 16:29:27 EDT 2005

On 2005-09-25, D H <no at spam> wrote:

>>>Try emailing the author for support.
>>
>> I don't think that's needed. He is one of the most active
>> members of c.l.py, and you should know that yourself.
>
> I would recommend emailing the author of a library when you
> have a question about that library.  You should know that
> yourself as well.

Why??

For the things I "support", I much prefer answering questions
in a public forum.  That way the knowledge is available to
everybody, and it reduces the number of e-mailed duplicate
questions.  Most of the gurus I know (not that I'm attempting
to placing myself in that category) feel the same way.  ESR
explained it well.

Quoting from http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum

   You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if
   you:

     [...]

    * post a personal email to somebody who is neither an
      acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for
      solving your problem

   [...]

   In general, questions to a well-selected public forum are
   more likely to get useful answers than equivalent questions
   to a private one. There are multiple reasons for this. One
   is simply the size of the pool of potential respondents.
   Another is the size of the audience; hackers would rather
   answer questions that educate a lot of people than questions
   which only serve a few.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm a GENIUS! I
                                  at               want to dispute sentence