Find day of week from month and year

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sat Sep 3 12:33:29 EDT 2005

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 20:53:44 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Carsten Haese wrote:
>> On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 16:46, Laguna wrote:
>>>def expiration(year, month):
>>>	weekday = calendar.weekday(year, month, 1)
>>>	table = [19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 21, 20]
>>>	return table[weekday]
> True, but do you find that more readable?  If I saw that in code I was
> maintaining I would likely rewrite it, probably to look a lot like the
> first one (though likely with a more descriptive name than "table"...
> maybe expirationTable?).

That doesn't explain anything, IMHO. What 'table' really is is a list of
day-of-month candidates for the third Friday.

For some pieces of code, I find that it's better to document what it /does/
than to try to document /how/ it does it. And maybe add a bunch of unit
tests to /demonstrate/ that it seems to work.

The next programmer can then choose to either (a) understand the code or (b)
rip it out and replace it.

I would leave the body alone, but rename the function 'third_friday_of_month',
and do 'expiration = third_friday_of_month'.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!