[Python-Dev] PEP 350: Codetags

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Sep 29 12:10:09 EDT 2005

At 09:10 AM 9/28/2005 -0700, Micah Elliott wrote:
>I agree that proof of value is necessary.  Without a spec though it
>will be hard to get people to know about a convention/toolset, so it's
>a bit of a chicken-egg problem -- I can't have a pep until the tools are
>in use, but the tools won't be used until programmers have
>means/motivation to use them, a pep.

My point about the lack of motivation was that there was little reason
shown why this should be a PEP instead of either:

1. Documentation for a specific tool, or group of tools
2. A specific project's process documentation

Are you proposing that this format be used by the Python developers for
Python itself?  A process spec like this seems orthogonal to
Python-the-language.

To put it another way, this seems like writing a PEP on how to do eXtreme
Programming, or perhaps a PEP on how the blogging "trackback" protocol
works.  Certainly you might implement those things using Python, but the
spec itself seems entirely orthogonal to Python.  I don't really see why
it's a PEP, as opposed to just a published spec on your own website, unless
you intend for say, the Python stdlib to conform to it.