win32com.client.GetActiveObject()

David Nicolson davidnicolson1 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 18 23:13:44 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have been successfully using iTunes' COM interface with Python
using either of the following lines successfully:

iTunes = win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch("iTunes.Application")
iTunes = win32com.client.Dispatch("iTunes.Application")

The only problem is that it will launch iTunes if it is not running
by instantiating the object here. There are some reasons why I have
not attempted to use more COM to check if iTunes is an active
process, I tried either of the following lines to only form a
connection if iTunes is running.

iTunes = win32com.client.GetActiveObject("iTunes.Application")
iTunes = win32com.client.GetObject(Class = "iTunes.Application")

Both lines result in a pythoncom.com_error with 'Operation
unavailable' in the second element of the tuple. Has anyone been able
to successfully do this with iTunes' COM server? I have seen other
'Operation unavailable' messages in a few other mailing lists but was
unable to find any solutions to this problem.

Regards,
David