Python CGI Script

Efrat Regev efrat_regev at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 06:50:14 EDT 2005

     Hello,

     I'm a data-structures course TA trying to write a python CGI script
for automatically compiling and testing students' projects.
Unfortunately, I've run into some questions while writing this, which I
couldn't solve with the various (and helpful) python-CGI documentation.
(It's possible that I'm posting to the wrong group; if so, I'd
appreciate suggestions for the appropriate group.)

1. In my HTML page, I have the following:

<form method="post" action="submission_processor.py"
enctype="multipart/form-data">
</form>

     In the above, submission_processor.py is the python CGI script. I
didn't write a URL in the action field, since I'm first testing
everyting on a local machine (running FC4). The first line of
submission_processor.py is

#!/usr/bin/python

and I've done

chmod +x submission_processor.py

     When I hit the "submit" button, my browser (Firefox on FC4) doesn't
run the script; it asks me whether it should open
submission_processor.py or save it to disk. I couldn't figure out why.

2. My HTML page has the option for an instructor to list the various
submissions and scores. Obviously, this should be inaccessible to
students. The instructor has a password for doing this, therefore.
Suppose I place the password inside a python script, and give this
script only +x permission for others. Is this  adequate as far as security?

     Thanks in advance for answering these questions.

      Efrat