How to upgrade to 2.4.1 on Mac OS X tiger

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Sep 11 17:03:48 EDT 2005

"Mike P." <no.spam at for.me.thanks.com> writes:
> I just got a Mac and was wondering the same thing as the original poster -
> how to move to 2.4, but I found out there was more than one version.
> So in addition to the Apple installation of 2.3, there are 4 versions of
> Python 2.4 (ActivePython, MacPython, fink, darwinports).

emerge probably has one as well. And Robert Kern mentioned the
official one. The package systems may use one of the others,
especially if they are available in source form. If they all do, there
are only three distributions (ActivePython, MacPython, and the
official one), with the packages installing them in different places.

> Which one should I go for? What are other people using (i.e. which is the
> most popular version)? Any particular advantages/disadvantages for each
> version?

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you favor one of the
package systems (fink, darwinports, emerge), you probably want to use
that one. That way, you won't have to worry about whether or not
another package from that system will find the one Python you
installed (and hence all the things installed by it), or will install
things again.

Otherwise, I agree with Robert - use the official one. Of course, if
one of the other two includes all the extra functionality you want,
use it.

Come to think of it, what's installed by Apple may count as a
different distribution as well. It certainly includes more than just
the official distribution.

       <mike