How to protect Python source from modification

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Mon Sep 12 09:34:45 EDT 2005

Hi all

I am writing a multi-user accounting/business system. Data is stored in
a database (PostgreSQL on Linux, SQL Server on Windows). I have written
a Python program to run on the client, which uses wxPython as a gui,
and connects to the database via TCP/IP.

The client program contains all the authentication and business logic.
It has dawned on me that anyone can bypass this by modifying the
program. As it is written in Python, with source available, this would
be quite easy. My target market extends well up into the mid-range, but
I do not think that any CFO would contemplate using a program that is
so open to manipulation.

The only truly secure solution I can think of would involve a radical
reorganisation of my program, so I am writing to see if anyone has a
simpler suggestion. Here is the idea.

1. Write a socket server program that runs on the server. The socket
server is the only program that connects to the database. The client
program connects to the server, which authenticates the client against
the database and then listens for requests from the client.

2. Devise my own protocol for communication between client and server.
For selects, the client sends a request, the server checks permissions,
then retrieves the data from the database and passes it to the client.
For updates, the client passes up the data to be updated, the server
checks it against its business logic, and then updates the database.

There is the question of where state should be maintained. If on the
server, I would have to keep all the client/server connections open,
and maintain the state of all the sessions, which would put quite a
load on the server. If on the client, I would have to reorganise my
thinking even more, but this would have an advantage - I will
eventually want to write a browser interface, and this would be much
closer in concept, so the two approaches would be quite similar.

This raises the question of whether I should even bother with a gui
client, or bite the bullet and only have a browser based front end.
Judging from recent comments about new technologies such as Ajax, a lot
of the disadvantages have been overcome, so maybe this is the way to
go.

It would be a shame to scrap all the effort I have put into my
wxPython-based front end. On the other hand, it would be pointless to
continue with an approach that is never going to give me what I want.
Any advice which helps to clarify my thinking will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Frank Millman