How to decompile an exe file compiled by py2exe?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Sep 25 11:06:44 EDT 2005

Leo Jay <python.leojay at gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> I opened the `hjparser.exe' file in UltraEdit(a hex editor), and found
> some partial statements and comments but not complete.
>
> so, my problem is i'm sure that the source code is in `hjparser.exe'
> but i don't know how to decompile the executable file `hjparser.exe'
> into `hjparser.py',
[...]

Unfortunately, things we're sure of are not always true.  But you
could try asking on the relevant mailing list for py2exe, making sure
to say some nice things about Thomas Heller at the same time ;-)

Personally, if the source were valuable to me, I would stop using my
hard drive immediately and pay a company to try to recover it, perhaps
making a direct copy of my HDD first using a low level copy command
like dd, so I had my other data to continue working with (though of
course, I'd hope I would have a restorable backup if it were
valuable).

John