byte code generated under linux ==> bad magic number under

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Sep 29 01:15:31 EDT 2005

Shobha Rani wrote:

(I think more people might read your posts if you skip the HTML stuff;
if you insist on HTML, you could at least use a reasonable color)

> How byte code is generated? For example when we run the java
> program then the compiler generates the byte code?
> How the byte code is generated for the source code(java)?

the section "Compiled Python Files" in the tutorial explains this:

    http://docs.python.org/tut/node8.html

byte code is portable between platforms, but it's not portable between
different major Python releases (2.4.2 can run 2.4.1 bytecodes, but not
2.3 bytecodes, etc).

</F>