py2exe 0.6.1 released

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Sep 6 02:29:02 EDT 2005

Bugs <dont at spam.me> writes:

> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> Changes in this release:
>>     * py2exe can now bundle binary extensions and dlls into the
>>       library-archive or the executable itself.  This allows to
>>       finally build real single-file executables.
>>       The bundled dlls and pyds are loaded at runtime by some special
>>       code that emulates the Windows LoadLibrary function - they are
>>       never unpacked to the file system.
>>

> Wow, that is fantastic Thomas, congratulations!
>
> So far, I've only seen where Thinstall has been able to accomplish
> this and at STEEP licensing cost, not free and open-source like py2exe!

At least there is (or was) a shareware tool named PEBundle, which
promised to do something similar.  Haven't used it myself, though.

> Can this technology be applied to other platforms?

Hehe.  No idea - I don't know enough about shared libraries.

> Could this all be modified in such a way that other scripting
> languages could take advantage of your bundling technology?

Maybe, but I don't use other scripting languages.  But doesn't tcl have
a pretty advanced packer?  And perl?

> Thanks!

You're welcome,

Thomas