ncurses programming

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Sep 26 13:41:01 EDT 2005

On 2005-09-26, Sinan Nalkaya <erchamion.beren at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi, i want to use ncurses library in python i`ve found proper
> library for that, PyNcurses. then i searched for some
> documentation about ncurses programming, i only found that web
> site ; http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO/
> this howto is nice but seems to me, this is for experienced
> ncurses programmers who have just migrated to python so i dont
> understand anything from examples and howto. what should i do
> ? firstly should i learn ncurses programmin on C then migrate
> to python? thanks.

Here's an introductory page:

http://gnosis.cx/publish/programming/charming_python_6.html

If what you want to do is fairly simple. the "newt" libarary
might worth looking at.  It's very light-weight, easy to use,
and has a bunch of built-in widget types (text entry boxes,
radio buttons, progress bars, message boxes, etc).  It's main
restriction when compated to something like ncurses/forms is
that newt's windows are "stacked" and the user can only
interact with the top one.

Newt was originally developed by RedHat for their text-mode
installer and sysadmin tools that were written in Python.

The documents are a bit sparse and sometimes out-of-date, but
there are a few decent example programs in the source distro.

The Python newt library module is called "snack", so be careful
not to get get confused with the sound library of the same name.

It's available for most Linux distros and requires the "slang"
library.

If your distro doesn't have a pre-built newt library you can
get it from here:

http://www.python.org/pyvault/SRPMS/repodata/repoview/newt-0-0.52.0-3.html

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Imagine--a WORLD
                                  at               without POODLES...