PyGTK or wXPython?

Alessandro Bottoni alessandro.bottoni at infinito.it
Tue Sep 13 03:55:39 EDT 2005

Rod W wrote:

> I'm just starting out on Python but my primary goal is to provide
> applications with some user interface (GUI).
>
> Can someone point me to a good comparison of whether I should use
> wxPython (with wxGlade I assume) or PyGTK (with Glade I assume)?
>
> I'd prefer open source (not necessarily GPL though) tools.
>
> Rod

Both the wxWidgets and the GTK web sites have some good comparison sheet
and/or a "why I should use this platform" page. Many reviews and articles
can be found on the web by searching for "PyGTK wxPython comparison" or
"Python GUI toolkits".

Anyway, the main difference between PyGTK and wxPython is the type of GUI
that is generated on Windows. PyGTK uses the Windows porting of GTK and has
its own Look&Feel (similar to Gnome, I could say). wxPython, like
wxWidgets, uses the native MFC widgets and have the same Look&Feel of any
other MFC application (indistiguishable from any other native Windows app).
On Linux, PyGTK and wxPython are equivalent because both use GTK for
rendering the GUI. (I do not use/program/own any McOS system, so I cannot
tell you anything about the Apple Platform).

Beside this, wxPython (and wxWidgets) is often told to be more complete,
better documented and better supported than GTK/PyGTK.

HTH