Noobie Starting New Project

megafrenzy megafrenzy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 18:32:35 EDT 2005

Well, I'm not too worried about the serial communications aspect, I've
developed perhaps a dozen different RS-232, 422, 485, and even SPI,
CANBUS interfaces in the past year for embedded systems. And also, the
Subaru protocol is easier than OBDII, no need to change the baud to 5,
its fixed at 4800 8 N 1 and you can make it faster with a simple
command.

Although I did not make it clear, my real questions were with Python's
graphics. There are so many GUI options and I wasn't sure which one
would be the best. I'm thinking that pyCard would be the easiest for me
to pickup, from what I heard on the Python411 podcasts. But based on my
hardware, could I expect screen refresh rates that can match the update
rate of the serial port? I'm thinking 10-20 updates per sec would be
the max I could get out of the serial port, depending on the max baud
rate (currently undocumented/unknown but at least 38.4k) I could set it
to.

And for plotting, there are pleanty of plotting/charing options out
there. I wanted to get some input on what I could use. I'm looking at
matplotlip and gnuplot, but there are so many others.