Free seminar on domain-specific modeling

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Sep 21 06:44:04 EDT 2005

Martijn Iseger wrote:
> Hello Steve,
>

>>1. Any organisation that can talk about "a leap in productivity of
>>400% from Assembler to BASIC" as though nothing occurred in between
>>suffers such a total disconnect from computing history that it's hard
>>to take other utterances seriously.
>

> I believe the point being made by the organization is that during computing
> history the most successful shifts in productivity were achieved by similar
> shifts in raising the abstraction level on which developers specify solutions.
> According to Capers Jones Software Productivity research Fortran is 4.5 times
> more productive than Assembler. Looking at chronology I'd say it is not incorrect
> to refer to the advent of compilers as a leap.

Neither would I. I was simply pointing out that BASIC wasn't the next
thing after assembly language. Even before Fortran there were a whole
bunch of what were usually called "autocodes", one of the more popular
ones in Britain at least being EMA (extended Mercury autocode. So it
wasn't really a leap, more a sequence of steps.

I could promote nuclear weapons as being a quantum leap above
rock-throwing (millions of percent more kill efficiency), but I'd be
falsifying the picture by omitting depressing centuries of weapons
development in doing so.

Most BASICs weren't compiled languages anyway: BASIC's primary feature
was the introduction of interactive execution modes and immediate
edit/run cycling. The addition of compilation to machine code is a
relatively recent phenomenon for (only some) BASICs, unlike other
high-level languages.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
PyCon TX 2006                          www.pycon.org