To the python-list moderator

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 2 18:21:00 EDT 2005

"Neil Schemenauer" <nas at arctrix.com> wrote in message
news:6HZRe.355752$s54.266548 at pd7tw2no...
> In the future, sending a message to postmaster at python.org is
> suggested rather than posting to only to python-list.

Thank you information.  Since python.org is mostly stuff other than the
mailing lists, I did not think of that.  Adding it to the CC line for this
reply.

>  What's
> happening is that Spambayes is marking the message as UNSURE.  The
> message that mailman sends to the sender is unfortunate.  The
> "Message has a suspicious header" notice is misleading because the
> user did not have any header in their message that caused it to be
> held (at least normally not).

Is that hardwired into Spambayes or can it be edited.

> I'm not sure why many legitimate messages are being flagged as
> UNSURE.  I'll look into it.

Then my 'misdirected' query will have worked anyway.  Thank you.

> Hmm, the message should eventually get through since it ends up
> getting moderated by a person.

My embargoed reply, which I believe I sent Sunday, was released
mid-Thursday.

>  Maybe they are getting overwhelmed and are making some mistakes.

Fewer false positives would make life easier for everyone.  Perhaps a
whitelist of regular and long-terms posters would help.  I think most or
all of the 4 people who responed 'me too' would also qualify.

What still puzzles me is why the spamblocker that embargoed me and others
did not catch such obvious spam as Subject: Re: The penis is way too
delicate for masturbation (and occasional others like this).  If you need a
regular c.l.p reader to forward missed spam for addition to the training
base, I would volunteer.

Terry J. Reedy