anaconda.real in RH7.1

pruebauno at latinmail.com pruebauno at latinmail.com
Fri Sep 2 09:53:36 EDT 2005

Allan Adler wrote:
> I'm using the book, "Programming Python", by Mark Lutz, as a reference.

No offence to Mark Lutz or O'Reilly but I consider "Programming Python"
one of the worst books I have read (in my case an old first edition).
It overwhelms the beginning programmer ("Learning Python" is probably
better for that), it bores the experienced programmer to death with
introductory details and does not work as a reference book. It is a
nice survey of application areas for python, but the book lacks a clear
goal, purpose and a problem it tries to address. It needs more focus.
It needs to be marketed correctly also. I believe too many people new
to python buy that book and get discouraged about Python, O'Reilly and
programming when they should buy something else instead.

That said what you probably want is "Python in a Nutshell" by O'Reilly
which is a good reference book it has a concise introduction of Python
in the beginning and after that, documentation for the most usefull
libraries out there.

Personally I use the online documentation a lot:

If I know the the name of the module
(for example it starts with sys.zz) I use:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.1/modindex.html

If I know what I want but not the name I use:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.1/lib/lib.html