encryption with python

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Sat Sep 10 18:04:24 EDT 2005

On 9/9/05 Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> There are "one-way" encryption functions where the result can't easily be
> traced back to the input, but why do you need the input anyway? Here is my
> quick-and-dirty student ID algorithm:

I have invented the perfect security protocol that solves a major problem with
the one-time-pad. The problem with most one-time-pad protocols is that you
still need to have the pad around, creating a major security hole. I have
solved that problem here. It has all of the steps of the usual one-time-pad
plus an extra step.

1. Generate a random number the size of your data.
2. XOR your data with it.
3. Destroy the original data.

Here is the additional step:

4. Destroy the random number.

You can see now that no adversary can resonably reconstruct the plain text.
This protocol might be terribly inconvenient, though, because it makes the
origina data unaccessible. Oh well, just a necessary byproduct of
theoritcally perfect security.

I hereby place this algorithm in the public domain. Use it freely.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570