Optional algol syntax style

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Sep 6 22:07:59 EDT 2005

"Christoph Rackwitz" <christoph.rackwitz at gmail.com> writes:
> You didn't quite get the OP's intention, I guess.
>
> The OP wanted Python to be a bit more freeform by adding "end" tags.
> That might be an improvement for web scripting, but I haven't seen the
> solutions of the existing frameworks and won't dare to compare.

Existing frameworks (the one's I've looked at anyway) tend to replace
indents with end tags of some kind. Doing anything else tends to get
ugly unless the language you are templating for treats whitespace the
same way Python does.

I'd argue that you're better off using a real templating system than
trying to mangle Python into becoming a more acceptable templating
system. For templates, you tend to want to access multiple different
names spaces that are only vaguelly related to the Python contextual
name spaces. For example, you may want CGI (or whatever variables)
available directly in the template, rather than as
CGI["foobar"].value. However, you don't want them showing up in front
of your templat variables; you want to be able to say "add CGI
variables foo, bar and foobar to the current name space" in a short
manner.

Templating systems (well, the better ones, anyway) let you manipulate
those name spaces in ways you can't do in python. Cheeta and
ClearSilver come to mind as systems that will let you do this.

         <mike