Shed Skin Python-to-C++ Compiler 0.0.3 Release: some fixes, 3 MB Windows package

Mark Dufour mark.dufour at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 08:23:06 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Thanks to the people trying out Shed Skin 0.0.2 and letting me know
about several problems they encountered. I have released an updated
version, 0.0.3. It contains some fixes, adds support for several
builtin functions (sorted, xrange..) and the Windows version is now a
mere 3 MB, instead of 20 :-)

Shed Skin's main purpose is to optimize algorithmic-like Python code,
by applying advanced global type inference techniques. It does not
support e.g. exceptions (yet), and there are currently some other
limitations. Importing modules requires some extra work on the part of
the user (see the README for details,)  although some imports are
currently supported (some math, random functions and sys.argv.) What
you gain by using Shed Skin is highly optimized code (industrial C++
compiler), independent of any virtual machine. It is also possible to
create highly optimized extension modules this way.

I invite anyone to try not too large algorithmic-like programs (e.g.
AI stuff) with Shed Skin and to let me know if there are any problems.
Even though 129 test programs already work well (6 of which are larger
than 100 lines), there are still many unimplemented minor features
that I can easily fix, provided someone shows me a nice use case.
Thanks to the people that have sent me failing code snippets before!

http://shedskin.sourceforge.net
http://shed-skin.blogspot.com

Thanks!
Mark Dufour.