Question about smtplib, and mail servers in general.

Christos Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Mon Sep 26 12:34:53 EDT 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:48:41 +0200, rumours say that Piet van Oostrum
<piet at cs.uu.nl> might have written:

>And most smtp servers that I know also pass mail from any from-address to
>any to-address if the IP number of he client machine belongs to a trusted
>range (usually the range that belongs to the ISP). So I can send both my
>private mail and my work mail from both my home ISP's smtp server and my
>work's smtp server (but only if I am at the proper location).

You might start having troubles, though, as soon as SPF checks get more
widespread.

Say your work mail is piet at example.com, and your private mail is
piet at yagoohoogle.com; if you send email through your office mail server
with the envelope "MAIL FROM: piet at yagoohoogle.com\n", then some (and
eventually many) receiving servers shall ask yagoohoogle.com for their
SPF record, and since your office mail server won't probably show up as
a valid email sender from yagoohoogle.com , your email will get
rejected.

That's a good thing.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.