Looking for a database. Sugestions?

Jeff Shell eucci.group at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 01:22:30 EDT 2005

If it's embedded, is there any reason why it should be SQL? A solid
alternative could me MetaKit, which has Python bindings:

http://www.equi4.com/metakit/python.html

"""
Buzzwords - Metakit is an embeddable database which runs on Unix,
Windows, Macintosh, and other platforms. It lets you build applications
which store their data efficiently, in a portable way, and which will
not need a complex runtime installation. In terms of the data model,
Metakit takes the middle ground between RDBMS, OODBMS, and flat-file
databases - yet it is quite different from each of them.

Technology - Everything is stored variable-sized yet with efficient
positional row access. Changing an existing datafile structure is as
simple as re-opening it with that new structure. All changes are
transacted. You can mix and match software written in C++, Python, and
Tcl. Things can't get much more flexible...
"""

I've never tried MetaKit (most of my development has been against the
ZODB object database, or against RDBMS servers), but I've heard good
things about it.