How to use a timer in Python?

Nico Grubert nicogrubert at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 02:21:51 EDT 2005

Hi there,

on a Linux machine running Python 2.3.5. I want to create a file
'newfile' in a directory '/tmp' only if there is no file 'transfer.lock'
in '/temp'.
A cronjob creates a file 'transfer.lock' in '/temp' directory every 15
minutes while the cronjob is doing something. This job takes around 30
seconds. During these 30 seconds the 'transfer.lock' file is present in
the '/temp' directory and I must not create 'newfile'. After the cronjob
has been finished, the 'transfer.lock' file is deleted from '/temp' and
I can create 'newfile'.
How can I use a timer that waits e.g. 10 seconds if 'transfer.lock' is
present and then checks again if 'transfer.lock' is still there?

I want to do something like this:

import os
if 'transfer.lock' in os.listdir('/temp'):
   # ...wait 10 seconds and then check again if
   # 'transfer.lock' is in os.listdir('/temp')
else:
   # create 'newfile'

Nico